To: Hon. John Horgan, Premier of British Columbia, Hon. Selina Robinson, Minister of Municipal Affairs and Housing
- British Columbia has declared a state of emergency in response to the novel coronavirus (COVID-19) pandemic as the number of cases and the death toll continue to climb
- Many businesses in cities and town across BC have been shutdown leading to lay offs for workers and drying up of revenue for small business operators
- Many British Columbians, especially in the Lower Mainland, are facing renovictions and demovictions as developers tear down affordable rentals to build luxury units
- The disconnect between incomes and house prices had made housing unaffordable to the vast majority of local taxpayers in BC’s larger municipalities even before the COVID-19 outbreak
- Tenants being evicted are facing great hardship finding new places to live because potential landlords are unwilling to conduct viewings due to health risks involved
Therefore: We, the undersigned, citizens of Canada, call upon the Government of British Columbia to immediately declare a moratorium on evictions until further notice.