Impark gave me a parking ticket a good five minutes after I had paid for my parking yesterday. I’m demanding $5000 as compensation for breach of contract, damages for “unconscionable acts or practices” as defined by s.8 of the Business Practices and Consumer Protection Act of British Columbia, and restitution for unjust enrichment, and a refund of the $2 I paid for parking.
And shame on T&T Supermarket for asking me for the $2 parking refund back to release me my parking receipt.
Imperial Parking Canada Corporation
601 W Cordova Street, Suite 300
Vancouver, BC V6B 1G1
December 14th, 2016
Dear Sir or Madam,
- On 13 December 2016, I received a “NOTICE” numbered 01E344417 (Exhibit A) from you demanding $80 as payment for “Restricted Lot” “Stall Not Paid”. The time of the ticket is indicated as 18:30
- My car was legally parked in the “T&T Parking” area and I paid for one hour of parking at 18:25 (Exhibit B).
- I shopped at the T&T Supermarket until 18:57, and found the “NOTICE” at or around 19:00 (Exhibit C). N.B. While the Exhibit C indicates that I received a $2 refund for parking, I had to return to T&T Supermarket and forfeit the refund in order to obtain my parking receipt, which they had taken from me in exchange for the refund (Exhibit D).
In issuing a “NOTICE” demanding payment after I had parked legally and paid for my ticket, you have:
- Breached the contract that was formed when I parked my car at your parking lot and paid for the parking
- Benefitted from unjust enrichment
- Engaged in “unconscionable acts or practices” as defined by s.8 of the Business Practices and Consumer Protection Act of British Columbia.
Based on the above, the I hereby demand the following from you:
- Immediate cancellation the “NOTICE” numbered 01E344417
- A refund of the $2 charged.
- Payment of $2,500 as compensation for breach of contract
- Payment of $2,000 as restitution for unjust enrichment
- Payment of $500 as compensation for damages suffered as a result of your “Unconscionable acts or practices”
Please ensure that I receive by Friday 22 December 2016 the following:
- A formal written confirmation that you have cancelled the “NOTICE” numbered 01E344417
- Payment of $5,002. Please make cheques payable to “Rohana Rezel”.
Please note that if I have to commence legal proceedings in order to require your performance of the above actions, this letter will be tendered in court as evidence of your failure to attempt to resolve this matter. Further, you may be liable for any court costs, attorney fees and damages, including punitive damages.
You might want to contact a lawyer to discuss your legal rights and responsibilities.